Basingstoke and District Beekeepers – Introduction to Beekeeping Sunday 26th Feb 2017
Basingstoke & District #Beekeepers have members from across North Hampshire. With about 100 active members of all ages, most keep #bees but some are new members in #training or no longer keep bees but retain an interest.
This is an informal, non-examination course. No previous knowledge or experience is required.
There is no obligation to join the Association.
To provide prospective beekeepers with:
1 An understanding of the ecological and economic importance of the Honeybee
2 The basic theoretical knowledge required for the meaningful examination and successful management of a colony of honeybees
3 The practical skills necessary to handle bees with confidence
Note: Responsible, successful #beekeeping requires the weekly examination of colonies from April until July and fortnightly from August until October.
1. When: From 12.30 pm until 4.30 pm on Sunday 19 th February, Sunday 26 th February, Sunday 5 th March, Sunday 12 th March.
2. Where: Sherborne St John Village Hall (a map will be provided)
3. Tutors: (Provisionally) Richard Pettifer, Bill Prescott, David Purchase and Sharon Woodman
4. Course notes will be provided
1. Structure: The classes will form part of the Association’s monthly apiary meetings at which experienced beekeepers will be present
2. When: Weather permitting, 2.00pm on Saturdays 1 st April, 6 th May, 3 rd June, 1 st July, 5 th August, 2 nd September, 7 th October
3. Where: The Association Apiary in St. John’s Copse, St. John’s Road, Oakley (a map will be provided)
4. Protective Clothing: We loan a jacket and veil and you bring Wellington boots and Marigold-type household gloves. We can supply suitable gloves at £1/pair if preferred.
5. Principal Tutor: David Purchase
Please complete the enrolment form. The fee is £95, which includes refreshments, course notes and the loan of protective clothing. A recommended beekeeping text book will be given free-of- charge to attendees that require a copy. Applicants that complete the course will receive a BDBKA Certificate.
Please contact Bill Prescott: firstname.lastname@example.org or 0118 9813557 or 07757 270215.